So you are thinking of putting up a website and also using SEO to help it get discovered by the different search engines. You tried to look for tips on how you can implement search engine optimization only for you to find out that you will need money to pay for an internet marketing agency.
To be clear, the use of SEO does not require money. However, large companies actually spend a lot on it so that their rankings will stay relatively constant. In fact, companies or large businesses spend upwards of $10,000 per month just to stay relevant.
Now, do not be disheartened by this. If you have the grand idea of setting up your own website and using SEO, then you are free to do so. In fact, today, I am going to give you some tips if to make SEO work for you even if you do not have money to spend on your campaign.
The Three Pillars
Now, I want to preface this by saying that there are three pillars of SEO that you need to be aware of. They are:
- On-Page Optimization– Things that you do on your website so that your pages will get indexed in the different search engines. This includes your content, your overall website aesthetics, and other tangibles.
- Continuous Content Development- This is where you create new content on a regular basis just so that your site’s authority will improve. Typically, you want to write at least one article per week, but you may need to increase that later on.
- Link Building- Think of this as a kind of promotion where you will create quality links to your site and post them on different internet channels.
With that out of the way, how do you get started?
Use a Content Management System (CMS)
Since you do not have money, you will need to create a website using free website builders. Fortunately, there are certain platforms that you can use with a no-frills setup procedure. I highly recommend you start using WordPress for this since it is easy to use and it also supports SEO as well.
Research Some Keywords
Keywords are essential when it comes to search engine optimization. You want to start by using Moz’s Keyword Explorer Tool as it is deemed to be the most beginner-friendly. That being said, get some keywords so that you can use them later on.
Once you’ve done the research part, you now need to implement your researched keywords into different areas such as:
- Titles and Meta Descriptions
- Your Actual Written Content
- Other Pages on Your Site
Content is another important aspect that you need to think about when it comes to SEO. As much as possible, use some or all of your researched keywords in the body of your content, but make sure that you do not overuse it. Typically, your keywords should only constitute 1-3% of your total article.
Furthermore, it is imperative that you create content on a regular basis. Uploading once a week should be a good start, but you have to consider adding more in the future.
Of course, you want to do some link building as well. Here are the things that you can do:
- Promote your website on the different social media platforms; particularly Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn (if you have a business website).
- Frequently visit forums pertaining to your niche and promote your site from there by posting links to your various pages.
- Build relationships with other content creators on the internet so that they can promote your site on their pages as well (in which, you have to do the same for them).
You can certainly create a website and promote it using SEO even if you do not have money. You just have to invest a lot more time and effort into it, but it can be done without spending a dime.